The Trevor Family


On porch: Mary Trevor, Mrs. John B. Trevor (née Emily Norwood), Miss Julia Rhinelander, J. B. Trevor Jr. (child, seated), John B. Trevor, Emily Trevor (child next to Mr. Trevor).
In carriage: Unknown drivers, Mr. and Mrs. Lispenard Stewart (née Mary Rhinelander & sister of Julia, on porch). Image courtesy of the Trevor family.

 
Glenview was the home of one family, the Trevors, who owned it for 45 years.
In 1877, when the house was completed, John Bond Trevor and Emily Norwood Trevor moved in with their daughters Mary and Emily; as well as Henry, the child of his first marriage to the late Louisa Stewart; and several servants.
See and learn more about the Trevors in the profiles below.
 
John Bond Trevor (1822-90)

 

 

 

 

Harper Pennington (1854-1920) Portrait of John Bond Trevor, 1893
Oil on canvas
Gift of Miss Emily H. Trevor, 1935

 

 

 

 

 

 

Far Right - Trevor photographed in Brussels, where his second marriage took place. Image courtesy of the Trevor family.

 
  • John Bond Trevor, a native Philadelphian, moved to New York City in 1849 and made his fortune as a Wall Street banker and stockbroker.
  • He moved to northwest Yonkers in 1861, at the time of his first marriage, to live a suburban life near the Ravine Avenue home of his business partner, James B. Colgate (1818-1904).
  • Trevor and his bride, Louisa Stewart, moved into a large, early Victorian home just south of the current site of the Hudson River Museum. Known in the 1860s as Edgewater, the house was later renamed Seven Pines and is no longer standing.
  • Louisa Trevor died in 1867, after a long illness, leaving Trevor with their young son, Henry, born in 1865.
  • He built Glenview, for his second wife, Emily Norwood, whom he married in 1870.
  • They moved only one block north of Edgewater to the new house in August 1877 with their two daughters, Henry and several servants.
  • Living at Glenview from April through December, Trevor would have commuted to his Wall Street office on a regular basis.
  • His son John wrote of visitors coming to Glenview for professional advice, but when at leisure in Yonkers, Trevor was devoted to living the life of a country squire. He enjoyed driving his trotting horses but his main hobby was horticulture.
  • John and Emily Trevor usually spent winter, the “social season,” in a New York City hotel or rented house to be nearer to cultural events and parties. 
  • Not treating Yonkers simply as his bedroom, Trevor was always involved with the local community. Before building Glenview, he and Colgate built the Warburton Avenue Baptist Church. He was very active philanthropically in Baptist causes including Rochester Theological Seminary.
  • He was also a founder of what eventually became St. John’s Riverside Hospital, first located on Woodworth Avenue, not far from Edgewater and Glenview
  • In 1882, he and Colgate served on the finance committee for the bicentennial of the Philipse Manor Hall. 
  • In 1884, Trevor and Colgate supported the building of the Yonkers Temperance Hall with a free lease arrangement on land they owned. Trevor’s patronage also included the Yonkers Free Reading Room and the YMCA.

 
Emily Norwood Trevor (1842-1922)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Right - Mrs. Trevor & spaniel on the lawn at Glenview, 1898.
Image courtesy of the Trevor family.

 
  • Emily Norwood Trevor was the daughter of diplomat Andrew Norwood, the great granddaughter of Colonel Benjamin Tallmadge, one of the discoverers of the Revolutionary War traitor Major John André, and a descendant of William Floyd, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Later, she was a founder and vice-president of the Colonial Dames of America.
  • She became a mother figure to Henry and had two daughters of her own by the time the family moved into Glenview. John Bond Trevor, Jr. was born at the new house in 1878.
  • Like her husband, Mrs. Trevor was active in the Yonkers community. She brought baskets of fruit from Glenview to the hospital, as well as made monetary donations. 
  • Her charity also included involvement with the Yonkers Ladies Employment Society, the children’s kitchen garden class of the Industrial School and, though she remained Episcopalian, the Baptist Sewing School.
  • After her husband’s death in 1890, Mrs. Trevor and her younger daughter Emily continued to divide their time between New York and Yonkers. When in Yonkers, she and Emily went visiting together, including to admire the greenhouses at other estates.
  • Even when she was in Yonkers, she frequently took the train to New York City on day trips to see her married children Henry and Mary, to socialize with friends and to shop. 
  • She and Emily went on at least two “grand tours” of Europe.

 
Henry Trevor (1865-1937)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Right - Henry’s mother Louisa Stewart Trevor (1836-1867).
Image courtesy of Charles Coulter.

 
 
  • Henry was friends with head gardener John Wiffler’s sons, Joseph and John, who lived in the cottage just inside the estate gates and were closer to his age than his little brother.
  • By the late 1880s Henry, over 20 years old, played on local amateur baseball and football teams and joined the Yonkers Yacht Club.  He purchased a famous yacht, the cutter Madge, and in September 1887, he and other members raced and cruised up the river as far as Roundout Creek and back.
  • Henry was a member of St. Andrews, the first golf club in the country. 
  • He married Margaret Schieffelin, daughter of a prominent New York City attorney, in December 1890.
  • There were five children in their family: George, Margaret, Louise, Henry, and Helen (the first son, born in 1891, had died in infancy).  When Helen married Charles Coulter in 1922, she wore grandmother Trevor’s point lace veil.
  • They lived in Southampton, where Henry raised prize-winning poodles, and in New York City.

   
Mary Trevor Winthrop (1871-1900)

 

Mary Trevor, around 1892, probably dressed in mourning for her father. Image courtesy Thomas Spurr Morse 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Far Right - Mary Trevor as a baby.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 
  • As young girls in Yonkers, Mary and Emily may have attended Miss Lucy Crocker’s English and French Day School on Palisades Avenue, because Mr. Trevor is listed as a reference for the school in an 1883 advertisement.
  • On June 2, 1892, Mary Trevor married Grenville Winthrop at St. John’s Episcopal Church in downtown Yonkers. The Harvard educated attorney was a descendant of John Winthrop, the first governor of Massachusetts. She was given away by her brother Henry and her sister Emily was her “first bridesmaid.”
  • There was extensive news coverage of the wedding, including lengthy accounts in several Yonkers and New York City papers.  A special train brought guests up from the city.
  • Mrs. Trevor hosted Mary Trevor’s wedding reception at Glenview, decorated with pink and white roses, palms and ferns. The Trevor’s gardener assisted the New York City florist, and many of the flowers came from Glenview’s greenhouses.
  • Mary and Grenville greeted guests in the Parlor’s bay window, while an orchestra played.
  • The couple divided their time between a country house in Lenox, Massachusetts, and a city house in Manhattan at 10 East 37th Street, just one block from a house Mrs. Trevor bought for herself and Emily in 1894. She socialized with her family often, both in the city and at Glenview.
  • She had two daughters: Emily, born March 10, 1893, and Kate, born December 10, 1899.
  • In a sad twist of fate, Mary died at age 29, possibly having never recovered from the birth of baby Kate. Her funeral was held in the Parlor, a common practice.

Mary Trevor Winthrop and her first daughter Emily, c. 1895. Image courtesy Thomas Spurr Morse.
 
Emily Trevor (1874-1943)

 


Emily Trevor, around 1892, probably dressed in mourning for her father. The gown is similar, or identical, to the one worn by Mary in the photograph above. Image courtesy Thomas Spurr Morse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
  • Emily did not marry and lived with her mother at Glenview and at the East 37th Street house in New York City.
  • Two diaries in the Museum’s collection give a good idea of her lifestyle and interests from age 20 to 34, as well as those of her mother and brother John. 
  • For more on Emily, see the section devoted to her.

 

Right -  Emily Trevor as a baby.

   
John B. Trevor (1878-1956)


A 20-year-old John Trevor & his bulldog on the lawn at Glenview, 1898. Image courtesy of the Trevor family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Right - A watercolor of John Trevor as a child, early 1880s. Image courtesy of the Trevor family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
  • Younger son John wrote in his memoirs that, as a child, Glenview seemed a “paradise” to him, except during the extreme heat of the summer, when the family would often vacation in cooler places, like the Catskills. 
  • He attended the private Cutler School in New York City, but did not note if he commuted there from Yonkers in the fall.
  • It is from John’s account that we know the family spent Christmas at Glenview
  • John, who was a constant companion to sister Emily, took walks, drove the ponies, bicycled and played the newly popular sport of golf, which he, Emily and Henry all took up in the 1890s. 
  • In 1908 he married Caroline Wilmerding, daughter of Lucius K. Wilmerding, President of the Union Club and a merchant.
  • They lived in New York City and had two boys, John and Bronson, who spent many happy days at Glenview, visiting their grandmother.