- Understand what information a story gives you about an event.
- Develop skills to discuss and analyze a story and make visual images that illustrate the provided readings.
Questions for Discussion
- What do you know about the Civil War?
- What important events took place during the Civil War?
- Who were important people in the Civil War and what did they do?
- What problems addressed during the Civil War do we still confront today?
Class Reading and Discussion of The Red Badge of Courage
Students read and analyze the scene from Chapter 5 in Stephen Crane’s The Red Badge of Courage.
What is happening in this scene?
- Where does this scene take place?
- What characters are in this scene?
- What props would you use to recreate this scene?
- What colors and decoration belong in this location and time period?
Individual Activity based on Little Women
Read the Chapter “A Telegram” from Little Women. The Civil War Scene Worksheet guides students to explore the story. The Civil War Scene Stage Set Worksheet guides students to draw a stage set.
• Stephen Crane. The Red Badge of Courage, 1895
• Louisa May Alcott. Little Women, 1868
• Worksheet : Write a Civil War Scene
• Worksheet: Draw a Civil War Scene Stage Set