A Celebration of African American Music with Soprano Yolanda F. Johnson
Celebrate African American Music Appreciation Month with us as Soprano Yolanda F. Johnson, accompanying herself on piano, presents Art Songs by African American composers, featuring spirituals, opera, and contemporary music. Inspired by the exhibition Self in the City: Highlights from the Collections of the HRM and Art Bridges, particularly the colorful work by Archibald Motley, Bronzeville at Night, this concert-lecture will highlight the contributions of African Americans to the American musical experience.
This live Zoom event will also be streamed on Facebook Live.
Black National Anthem
- Lift Every Voice and Sing by J. Rosamond Johnson
- Steal Away
- Couldn’t Hear Nobody Pray
- Wade in the Water
- Go Down Moses
- Keep Your Hand on the Plow (Hold On)
- God Bless the Child
- They Won’t Go When I Go by Stevie Wonder
- Night Florence Price
- If I Could Give You All I Have by Lena McLin
- Mae’s Rent Party
- Clear Water
- Summertime from Porgy and Bess
Support provided by Art Bridges.