James B. Colgate, who had an estate in Yonkers just south of Glenview and commuted to Wall Street, owned William Hahn’s Union Square. His daughter, Mary, who lived on Ravine Avenue when the Museum moved to Glenview, donated this painting in November 1925.
When mankind landed on the moon 50 years ago, we reached the pinnacle of more than a decade-long journey in the race to space. While we at the HRM, may not have made it to the moon, the Museum has reached new heights! BBC World News interviewed Manager of Planetarium and Science Programs Marc Taylor and featured the exhibition “A Century of Lunar Photography and Beyond” in a segment that aired on March 11.
By the time the Museum moved to Glenview in April 1924, it owned some 2,500 minerals, fossils, and relics, as well as works of fine art—acquired through the leadership and, in many cases, the personal generosity of Edwin C. Mott. The Museum continued to acquire key pieces even before its doors opened in December of that year.
A titan of late-nineteenth and early twentieth-century photography and a lifelong resident of Yonkers, Rudolf Eickemeyer, Jr. (1862–1932) was a leading member of the Yonkers Art Association, a group of local artists dedicated to fostering art in the community, and one of the early advocates for the formation of the Museum.