Ned Potter had early career ambitions to write and talk about space, an interest that drew him to the HRM 30 years ago when he worked in the Planetarium. On Saturday, May 4, at 1:30pm, Potter will return to the Museum to discuss his career, as well as the past, present, and future of entrepreneurial space ventures in Space Business, a special talk with Chad Anderson,
James B. Colgate, who had an estate in Yonkers just south of Glenview and commuted to Wall Street, owned William Hahn’s Union Square. His daughter, Mary, who lived on Ravine Avenue when the Museum moved to Glenview, donated this painting in November 1925.
When mankind landed on the moon 50 years ago, we reached the pinnacle of more than a decade-long journey in the race to space. While we at the HRM, may not have made it to the moon, the Museum has reached new heights! BBC World News interviewed Manager of Planetarium and Science Programs Marc Taylor and featured the exhibition “A Century of Lunar Photography and Beyond” in a segment that aired on March 11.
By the time the Museum moved to Glenview in April 1924, it owned some 2,500 minerals, fossils, and relics, as well as works of fine art—acquired through the leadership and, in many cases, the personal generosity of Edwin C. Mott. The Museum continued to acquire key pieces even before its doors opened in December of that year.